Précédent   Buzz Comics, le forum comics du monde d'après. > > Comics Culture > Crowdfunding

Réponse

Outils de la discussion Modes d'affichage
Vieux 13/09/2022, 20h46
Fred le mallrat Fred le mallrat est déconnecté
Généalogiste sénile
-Généalogiste Sénile--Sentinelle du Temple-

Fred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec Diablo
The DeMultiverse

Citation:
SPELLBOUND COMICS IS PROUD TO PRESENT

Four all-new, all-different titles ripped from the mind of legendary comic book writer JM DeMatteis (Kraven's Last Hunt, Justice league International) and brought to vivid life by co-creators/artists Shawn McManus (Sandman, Swamp Thing), Matthew Dow Smith (Doctor Who, Jupiter’s Legacy), David Baldeón (X-Factor, Ben Reilly: Spider-Man), and Tom Mandrake (Spectre, Batman).

Citation:
Welcome to Spellbound Comics, Welcome to… The DeMultiverse!

The DeMultiverse consists of four separate all-new, all-different comic books written by the legendary J.M. DeMatteis (Kraven’s Last Hunt, Justice League International, Moonshadow, and hundreds more). Each of the four titles is completely different in tone and style, and each one is co-created by a different artist…

There’s ANYMAN, illustrated by David Baldeón. A contemporary superhero book with an unexpected twist. If you’ve enjoyed JM’s work on Spider-Man, Justice League or Captain America, you’ll love this one.

GODSEND with Matthew Dow Smith. Who is Godsend? Is he a superhero? An alien? Celestial being? Check out the book JM himself describes as “Jack Kirby meets The Matrix meets Philip K. Dick.”

Then there’s LAYLA IN THE LANDS OF AFTER, an all-ages fantasy about the Afterlife, illustrated by Shawn McManus. From Moonshadow to Abadazad to Imaginalis, there is no greater writer of comic book fantasy than JM DeMatteis. LAYLA is his latest Can’t Miss in this genre.

And finally, there’s WISDOM, brought to visual life via the haunted pen of Tom Mandrake. WISDOM is a supernatural Western and, in my opinion, has the potential to be one of the best things JM has ever written. I’m not overselling here. I’ve read the full pitch. It’s so good, it’s humbling. If, like me, you’re lukewarm on Westerns, don’t be with this one — it transcends the genre and is anything but lukewarm. More like Hell hot. (I’d show myself out now, but there’s more to say!)

All four titles will be available as single issues with a Cover A drawn by the series artist and a Cover B drawn by a special guest artist. We’re keeping some of those guest artists’ names under wraps at the moment, but I can tell you that the variant cover for LAYLA IN THE LANDS OF AFTER will be done by none other than… J.H. Williams III! Folks, I’ve seen this cover and it is, to put it mildly, a banger. If you collect J.H. art, this one is simply a Must-Own. (Side note: Do you have any idea how difficult it is to send emails to a J.H. and a J.M. without typoing?!)

We will also be collecting all four titles in one softcover trade called The DeMultiverse Collection. In addition to the four complete issue #1s, The DeMultiverse Collection will include J.M.-penned introductions to each title where he discusses the genesis of the idea, its behind-the-scenes history, and why he just had to tell this story. There will also be never-before-seen artistic goodies like character designs, unpublished panels, promotional art, and more! And finally, you’ll find a very special foreword on J.M.’s career and works by an absolute legend in the comic book industry, a person who knows J.M. as well as anyone, and that person is… a secret for now.

And now for the really cool part: the part where YOU come in.

All readers who purchase either a complete set of all four #1 issues OR The DeMultiverse Collection TPB will be eligible to vote on which of the four titles will be the first to continue on. That’s right, think of these four titles as TV Pilots and only ONE is getting greenlit to series! (For now.)

No matter how successful this initial campaign is, it would not be economically feasible for my little startup publisher to greenlight all four titles for 4-6 issues immediately (unless we slow-roll their releases to a snail’s pace). So a decision must be made! And since I, myself, have never shied away from making a tough decision, I’ve decided to force YOU to make this one!

You buy. You read. You vote. We make.

Fun, right?

Now, let’s talk business…

If you’re not familiar with how crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter.com and IndieGogo.com work, creators can “pre-sell” their creations before they’re, well, created. Customers (AKA backers) put their trust in the Creators by paying up front before the product is complete, then waiting however long it takes for manufacturing (in our case assembling/printing) and fulfillment before receiving it.

Fortunately, in the case of The DeMultiverse, all four comics will be 100% ready-for-printing by the end of the campaign, so we’ll just need be a little time to assemble the extras for the Trade Paperback Collection, tally up the final number of orders, and send the files to the printer. After that, the turnaround time is anyone’s guess (this being a post-pandemic world and all), BUT we expect to have these in our hands no later than Spring 2023, at which point, we will confirm shipping addresses, and get these beauties into your clamoring hands!

You can choose to back us here on SpellboundComics.com or on Kickstarter for a 30-day period starting in early October, but we hope you’ll back here and help us save fees. In case you don’t know, Kickstarter takes about 10% off the top. The costs we pay for this site are closer to 6%. With profit margins as thin as they are in comics, that extra couple of percentage points is going to mean something. And no matter which platform you support us on, please know the buying terms are exactly the same: Your purchase is paid up front, and fulfilled months later (again, our best guess is Spring 2023), and there are no cancellations after the campaign (or pre-orders) are closed.

One other thing you should know, if you’ve never backed a crowdfunded comic, is that they cost a bit more per issue than what you’re used to paying at the Local Comic Book Store. The reason for this is simple: Larger publishers distribute between 5,000 and 100,000 copies of each of their books which allows them to amortize the upfront costs (mostly salaries and overhead) over a larger number of issues than what typically sell during crowdfunding campaigns for comic books.

The truth is, we’ll be lucky if we get to 1500 backers, yet the costs of production stay the same whether we sell 20 copies or 2,000. So the end result is that each of our small batch of comics will need to bear a larger burden of those costs. As such, we completely understand if you can’t afford to support everything we’re offering, but we do hope you’ll support at least one. And I promise you this: the quality of these books is as good as, or better than, anything else on the racks today. From the writing to the art to the colors to the letters to the covers — all work was performed by topnotch, experienced professionals who combined have worked for every major publisher in the US (and some outside the US).

That should just about cover it. If you have a question that wasn’t answered here, pop on over to our Contact Us page (link at the top or bottom of the page), and shoot us a message.

And with that, I’ll leave you with this: The comic book industry holds a special place in my heart. It provided me with countless hours of entertainment while growing up. It inspired within me ambition and passion that I took into adulthood and the pursuit of my own writing career. And it taught me stories and history and mythology and vocabulary. My #1 aim with Spellbound is to provide all of those things to YOU (and to employ a few of my favorite professionals—heroes!—along the way).

Sincerely,

David Baldy
Publisher, Spellbound Comics
Writer/Producer (link to imdb credits)
https://spellboundcomics.com/?fbclid...LddUMD9slsIguE

Dernière modification par Fred le mallrat ; 11/10/2022 à 21h56.
Réponse avec citation
Vieux 11/10/2022, 21h46
Généalogiste sénile

Fred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec Diablo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-demultiverse
Réponse avec citation
Vieux 10/06/2023, 11h29
Généalogiste sénile

News

Citation:
The polls have closed and--with a not-too-shabby 333 votes cast--we have a winner!

And that winner is…going to be revealed at the end of this post.

But first let’s talk about our 4th place finisher, revealed yesterday, WISDOM (green)

We knew going in that WISDOM would have a tough hill to climb. Westerns just aren’t popular. We’d hoped that combining the powerhouse team of JM DeMatteis & Tom Mandrake would overcome that, but alas it wasn’t enough.

I also want to mention, as the publisher & EIC of these 4 titles, that I know where they’re all going, and WISDOM was the one I was most excited for long term. So seeing it get the least love was a bitter pill.

That said, there are three other spectacular titles to discuss!

Finishing 3rd was GODSEND (red). Godsend had a true rollercoaster of a ride. Through the first half of voting, GODSEND stood alone in 1st! But, unfortunately, in the second half, it got left at the altar.

GODSEND’s opening remains my favorite scene of the entire DeMultiverse, and I was really looking forward to seeing where the series was going (and to seeing more of Matthew Dow Smith's perfectly paired art). But we knew going in, there could only be one…

So now we’re down to LAYLA IN THE LANDS OF AFTER & ANYMAN...

Orange, which finished 2nd, put up a nice fight for a long while, at one point climbing from a distant 3rd to a vote or two behind 1st. It just couldn’t stick the landing.

So which title is orange?

For starters, it’s the one that appears to have the most fervent following. I've received more comments and DMs about this title than any other. (Speaking of comments, I plan to showcase many of the optional comments received during voting in the days to come.)

It's also the one that surprised me the most. It seemed like an impossible task to ask an all-ages fantasy book to beat out the others, but it almost did! So yes, orange, our 2nd place finisher, is LAYLA.

Maybe its success is a testament to Shawn McManus's astounding art, or all the Abadazad fans JM has amassed over the decades, but LAYLA most definitely earned an Honorable Mention. Unfortunately, though, we may never know if Layla makes it back to the land of the living because…

Our first ever DeMultiverse winner is… ANYMAN!

Congrats to the AnyFans(TM) and to David Baldeon for guaranteeing yourselves more exciting adventures to enjoy! Assuming David enjoys drawing, that is. We certainly enjoy seeing his drawings. Like this one. Cheer up, Anyman, there'll be more of you!

I said from the start that Anyman was the one I thought could most easily be adapted to a TV show, and it seems about 1/3 of the DeMu backers agreed. Now we’ll all get our way in the form of more ANYMAN!

Just maybe not THIS Anyman.

As for the other titles, who knows what their future holds.

That is...

if we ignore this little pie chart...

Whoa! See that giant purple section that’s just shy of 50%? That’s how many of you said if you had your druthers, you’d rather have a chapter 2 for all 4 titles than multiple issues of just one. That's way more votes than any one title received.

Plus there were so many comments mentioning how agonizing choosing a favorite was that it got me thinking… maybe we should spare you any further agony...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS SAY WE DO A DeMULTIVERSE VOL. 2 FEATURING ALL FOUR CHAPTER 2s?!?!

I’ve already reached out to the artists & JM, and they’re all up for it! In fact, JM thinks he could have two of the books plotted by the end of this month. Heck, there’s even a chance we could get a campaign up before the end of the year!

This feels exciting! Is this exciting?!

If you're wondering about THE EDWARD GLOOM MYSTERIES, I'll address that in a separate post over the next few days, along w/ some other things. But for today, let's just enjoy the end of OUR chapter 1.

Less than 8 months from campaign to now. Four amazing new books by 4 fantastic artists & one of the greatest comics writers of all-time. A gobsmacking turnout from some of the best fans of the medium in the WORLD. (Truly the world. Books were shipped to roughly 25 countries!)

A heartfelt THANK YOU, GRACIAS, MERCI, GRAZIE, DANKE, OBRIGADO, ARIGATOU, SALAMAT (& any other Demu-backer languages I missed) to you all!

And please stay tuned. It turns out, we're just getting started...
Réponse avec citation
Réponse

Outils de la discussion
Modes d'affichage

Règles de messages