Discussion: john ney rieber
Afficher un message
Vieux 14/11/2002, 15h50
Fred le mallrat Fred le mallrat est déconnecté
Généalogiste sénile
-Généalogiste Sénile--Sentinelle du Temple-

Fred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec DiabloFred le mallrat mange des gauffres avec Diablo
john ney rieber

voici une interview de john ney rieber(book of magic,captain america)
je l ai trouve sur le star spangled site
un site consacre a cap america, le meilleur site lui etant consacre meme
vous pourrez y trouver toutes les reponses aux questions que vous vous posez sur les differents cap(que ce soit les cap du marvel universe,d ultimate ,what if ..)
allez y jetez un coup d oeil
http://www.medinnus.com/winghead/

Interview - John Ney Rieber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Ney Rieber is the scribe on the Marvel Knights series (Volume Four), and we are currently in part five of his six-part first story arc (which will be collected in a trade paperback around the December timeframe). Mr. Rieber graciously took time from his hectic, overbooked schedule to answer some questions regarding Captain America, his Marvel Knights series!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSS: How did you come to be offered the assignment to write Captain America?

accidentally. i was talking with stuart moore--the original marvel knights editor for the project--and he just happened to bring it up. he said, you know, you're not someone anyone would think of for this, but...

and he was right.

it's my understanding that marvel was looking for a heavy hitter to revive the character. someone with serious superhero credentials, like frank miller or greg rucka. and i'd only written a single (and not particularly memorable) story in that genre. but stuart liked the sample scenes i generated, my take on the character...

SSS: Have you been a Captain America fan for long?

i loved cap when i was young. (which i no longer am.) the classic lee & kirby, lee & steranko, lee & colan. the material that's reprinted in the essential captain america trade paperbacks, basically.

and he was always my favorite avenger.

but i missed quite a few years of him. a few decades, actually. i missed some good stories. sigh.

SSS: Captain America is one of the longest-running Marvel heroes, with 50-plus years of continuity (with the Marvel mandate that all the modern history has happened in the last ten years); how much does his continuity baggage affect what you plan to do with Captain America?

heh. that mandate puts an interesting twist in cap's continuity, doesn't it? all the cold war stories, particularly...

marvel wanted to revitalize the character. and i'm a gardener. i approached cap's existing continuity with the intention of taking the character back to his roots.

one of the problems you run into with a character like cap is: when everyone knows who a character is, what a character stands for--there's a tendency to take the character for granted. not to dig into their psyche or their emotions or their motivation. and while it's nice to be able to tap into that familiarity, that iconic quality--there's a concommitant risk that the character will become a cardboard cutout. flat. going through predictable motions, well...just because that's what that character does, right?

i don't know whether or not that will make sense to anyone.

i wanted to refresh readers' awareness of who cap was. and why he fights. i wanted to put readers inside him, and let them feel--

he's a soldier.

and in general terms--getting back to your question--i'm not a fan of retconning. i think it's more effective (and more liberating) to simply ignore the aspects of continuity that could distract you from the heart of a character, and focus on the ones that seem resonant to you.

and if you want to be subversive, do it respectfully. look for spaces--holes--in the original continuity that you can do something with. look for thrownaway moments that you can flesh out in ways that illuminate the history we think we've understood...

but everything you do has to be rooted in the heart of the character. the character comes first. cap was cap before we came along. and we have a responsiblity to treat him with respect. we want him to still be cap after we're gone.

SSS: Among some of the more-known continuity problems - feel free to comment on any of them, or igmore them all... I don't mean to turn this into a 'make John answer CA history problems HE didn't create' session, but I solicited questions from the CA message board and a couple of Avengers/Captain America mailing lists, and these were fiercely debated):

(A) Captain America has died circa CA Vol. 1 #113, Fighting Chance Storyline, Onslaught, CA Vol.3 #46 - does anyone seriously think a Captain America funeral is real anymore?

does anyone seriously think that any funerals in comic books are real anymore?

they can be real today, yeah.

but that's about all you can say.
Réponse avec citation